Emily is a young classical guitarist, teacher, and luthier currently located in Ottawa, Ontario. She studied guitar with her father, Mike Shaw until university, at which point she moved to London, Ontario to study with Wilma van Berkel at the University of Western Ontario. Emily recently completed a master's degree (MMus) in guitar performance under the tutelage of Patrick Roux at the University of Ottawa. Emily spends a good deal of her time working with students in her home studio where she teaches classical and acoustic guitar, and piano. As a luthier, Emily has built a variety of guitar-type instruments including classical guitars, steel-string acoustic guitars, period instruments, and a ukulele. In performance, Emily strives to engage her audience with expressive interpretations of music from across the centuries. She has a weakness for emotionally charged, lush harmonies and amusing character pieces. When not practising, teaching, or building guitars, Emily enjoys biking, sailing, cooking, and drinking tea.
A few of my current projects
- New recordings! Listen to Ida Presti’s Etude and Anne Lauber’s Arabesque here
- Recently completed: Rosewood and Cedar classical guitar (number 021): read more here
- Spalted Maple classical guitar with asymmetrical fan bracing (number 017): read more here
- CD recording project (details TBA) with a tentative release date mid 2019
- Guitar concerts with fellow guitarist and life partner, Craig Visser. Concert dates can be viewed here